Sunday, February 22, 2009

What do you do on Saturday night?

This week I planned! The teacher who I share a room with (I'm only half-time) observed me on Wednesday (at the request of my Principal) to see if there was anything I was missing in my instruction and classroom management. We got a chance to debrief on Friday and she gave me a couple of ideas, and some reassurance (which was really needed!). I am armed with ideas, and the encouragement to take charge of my classroom, and not let the parents dictate what happens in my room.

We are going to change some routines around, and learn some non-verbal cues (sign-language) which will help me cut down on having to constantly verbally redirect my kiddos. We are also going to start earning free-time minutes if we can be "expert listeners" on the carpet. I also planned out my whole week of lessons, as well as the next couple of weeks of guided reading groups.

She also brought up the fact that so much of our job is PR with the parents. It's hard because our particular parents need so many "pats on the back". My kiddos come to school with every advantage, and it's frustrating when the parents try and undermine their child's ability to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment