Monday, March 30, 2009

Spring Break

I've made it 127 days! I can't believe that the school year is almost over, we come back from Spring Break and have 2 short months then we are done. My kiddos will be big, bad first graders.

I'm excited to see all of their progress, I only had 4 kiddos who were reading at the beginning of the year, and know all but 4 are able to pass an A. Almost all of them know their letters and sounds. They are confident writers, able to write to a prompt ("In the winter I like to. . . "). Even my kiddos who can't quite pass an A can pick sight words out in text.

It's bittersweet because I don't know if I will be here next year to see them continue to grow and learn. My state is planning on cutting 9 billion from education next year, and my district has declared a state of financial emergency. Unfortunately, you can't cut 5 million dollars worth of "things", which means RIF's, which means teachers with contracts who need jobs, and my little half-time, leave replacement will probably go to one of them.

I'm sad, upset, and disappointed that I won't be able to see my first set of kiddos continue on through school. Luckily my team will still be here, as will my good friend who teaches a combo and will be getting 4 of my kiddos next year, so I can hopefully get updates on how they are doing.

I'm now trying to figure out what next year has in store, and working on essays for my application to NYC. I know I'm crazy, it would be such a culture shock from where I am now, but we will see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment